Mangold (Beta vulgaris var cicla) belongs to a group of green leafy vegetables, which includes her cousin, spinach. It is widespread and useful vegetable plant that grown in gardens for the production of fresh green leaves.
Mangold is also known as Swiss chard, silver beet, perpetual spinach, spinach beet, beet crab, bright lights, seakale beet.
The largest producers and users of chard are countries of the Mediterranean, where the chard widely used in the diet along with potatoes or cooked as a stew. Mangold can also be eaten in the form of fresh salads with olive oil, lemon and garlic.
What is the nutritional value of mangold?
Chard (mangold) contains a large amount of water; even 2/3 of the total content of the plant makes water. For this reason, the chard is very useful in diets for weight loss as a low-calorie food, rich in minerals and vitamins.
When we talk about mineral composition of mangold, it can be said that mangold is pretty rich in important minerals:
As well as other green vegetables and chard is rich in vitamin C, whereby it is assumed that the daily consumption of fresh mangold’s leaves enough to meet the daily requirement for vitamin C.
Among the other important vitamins, chard contains vitamins B complex: B1, B3, B5, B6, B9 and folic acid.
Also it should be noted that the chard contains a very important vitamin, which protects vision and strengthens the immune system - that is vitamin A. In addition to vitamin A, chard is also rich in beta carotene, a precursor which converts into vitamin A.
Another important vitamin from fat soluble family present in chard is vitamin K. The chard is rich in this vitamin, which makes it special among other greens.
As for the content of vitamin E, chard contains negligible concentrations of this vitamin.
Chard contains a lot of plant fibers, which is extremely important for people with elevated cholesterol, sugar and high obesity index. Vegetable fibers of chard regulate digestion and metabolism of nutrients.
Other important matters - chard contains a lot of Omega-3 fatty acids, flavonoids and other antioxidants, such as beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin.
What are the Health Benefits of Chard?
1. Vitamin A and its pro vitamin - beta-carotene are extremely important in maintaining eye health and eyesight. Vitamin A is also called protector of the eyes. Entering a sufficient concentration of vitamin A through chard, have influence on preventing degenerative and inflammatory changes in the eye, such as cataract, glaucoma, conjunctivitis.
2. The presence of vitamin C, vitamin A, minerals in chard strengthens the immune system, preventing the emergence of infections, inflammation of the respiratory tract.
3. Chard due to the presence of vitamin A has positive impact on the health of skin and hair. Vitamin A makes the skin soft and the hair stronger; prevents dry cycling and infections of the skin, accelerates the healing of wounds. It is ideal for the prevention and treatment of health problems such as eczema, acne, psoriasis, dry skin, herpes, cuts, burns, etc.
4. Vitamin K in Swiss chard has a fundamental role - participates in the processes of blood coagulation and prevents the appearance of profuse bleeding and bruising (hematoma)
5. The chard is rich in antioxidants, and for their power we all heard. Diet which has chard in it will only strengthen the organism and prevents various degenerative and tumor changes.
6. Due to the content of calcium, chard is recommended for children and the elderly in order to build and maintain bone strength.
7. Folic acid in mangold is important for pregnant women and nursing mothers, because with sufficient amounts of folic acid ingested, and the baby will grow and develop properly.
8. Swiss chard is rich in iron, which will prevent the occurrence of anemia.
9. Chard with its medicinal ingredients improves circulation, prevents hypertension (high blood pressure) and the formation of blood clots in the arteries, which are responsible for most heart attacks (infarction).
10. Consumption of mangold eliminates excess fluid from the body, which will facilitate nutrition of people who have a problem with obesity and fluid retention.
Finally it should be noted next thing - as spinach, and chard contains large amounts of oxalic acid, which is in the body bind to calcium and prevents its absorption. Therefore, it is recommended to consume some sour milk drink rich in calcium with chard.
Due to the presence of oxalic acid in mangold, patients with kidney stones should pay attention.