Basic information about Beans
Bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) is an annual herbaceous plant of the legume family, which include peas, and originate from the soil of South America.
During the 15th and 16th centuries beans with sailors and traders spread all over the world and began to be grown for food. So today there are over 100 different types of bean varieties, which differ mainly in color.
Some of most recognized bean varieties are: red, black, colorful, green mung (Chinese) beans, azuki beans, South American beans, Spanish beans, pinto, lima and so on.
What is the nutritional profile of beans?
Beans are highly valuable and energy-rich foods that give the body a longer feeling of satiety without sudden jumps in blood glucose. This advantage comes from the presence of fiber in beans which there are plenty.
Also, the bean is rich in vegetable proteins, which contain plenty of amino acids lysine, but it is lacking in other amino acids important for the functioning of the organism - methionine, cysteine, and tryptophan. In order to balance the relationship between amino acids, it is necessary to combine beans meal with grains, because they are rich in these amino acids.
Proteins in beans are very important, and they can effectively replace meat protein.
Mineral composition of bean looks like this:
Vitamins that take part of the beans are - B1, B2, folic acid, pantothenic acid. Bean sprouts are rich in vitamin E and C.
Studies have shown that red, purple beans and colorful beans have the greatest proportion of antioxidants than other varieties of beans (white and yellow).
Health Benefits of Beans
1. Beans have positive influence on digestion, and prevention of the occurrence of constipation, hemorrhoids, colon cancer.
2. Reduces cholesterol and prevents the onset of heart disease
3. It regulates the level of glucose in the blood and gives a longer feeling of satiety
4. It contains magnesium, which is important for the normal functioning of muscle and nervous system
5. Participates in metabolic processes of decomposition of sugar and metabolic energy production
6. Beans contain enough iron, zinc, folic acid thus is recommended in the diet of pregnant women and young children in order to prevent anemia
7. Beans effectively working with the state of insomnia, chronic fatigue, stress, headaches, depression
8. Due to the content of fiber and magnesium, beans are a good ally in the prevention of stroke
Use beans in the diet
Beans are hard digestible foods, and some people fell hardly falls on the stomach, with a sense of bloating and abdominal pain. Therefore, it is recommended to always add some aromatic herbs - mint, dill, cumin, anise, bay leaf, and curry in dish with beans.
Beans can be used as fresh in salads, as a cooked dish, puree, soup, or it can be found as canned beans.
How to properly kept beans?
- Beans should be kept in closed containers in a cool, dry and dark place up to a year.
- When shopping, remember that beans have to be without surface damage, moisture, mildew, insects.
- When buying canned beans, please pay attention to the contents of the cans - the additives, concentration of salt, and the origin of beans.