Hazelnut belongs to the group of nuts, among walnuts and almonds. It is widely distributed fruit throughout the world and it is gladly used in nutrition, food and cosmetics industries.
Fruit of hazelnut is whitish core wrapped with brown shrimps and housed in a hard shell.
Fruit of hazelnut can be consumed fresh, toasted, chopped or milled. The best taste is achieved when the core of a hazelnut overdone, because then the essential oils release and give hazelnut a distinctive flavor.
What is the nutritional composition of the hazelnut?
High energy value of hazelnut makes it highly nutritious food that should be consumed in certain amounts and do not overdo it.
The largest proportion of nutrient bring oils (55 - 75%) of which has the most unsaturated fatty acids (omega-3 and omega -6).
Proteins are also represented in hazelnut - 12-18%. Into the composition of proteins enter important amino acids.
Mineral composition of hazelnut is rich. It is made of potassium, iron, magnesium, calcium, fluorine, phosphorus, zinc and copper.
Vitamins that are represented in hazelnuts are: Vitamin E, A, K, vitamin B1, B2, folic acid, pantothenic acid.
What are the Health Benefits of Hazelnut?
1. Hazelnuts are excellent prevention of heart disease - the presence of unsaturated fatty acids, magnesium, folic acid, calcium, amino acids, make hazelnut worth in preserving the health of blood vessels and heart.
2. Hazelnuts reduce levels of bad cholesterol and prevent atherosclerosis, thrombosis, varicose veins.
3. Hazelnut is rich in vitamin E, which is very important for preserving the solidity of nails, hair and for better skin quality. That is why hazelnuts added in cosmetics for skin care.
4. Calcium and magnesium, as well as a large amount of potassium in hazelnuts maintain normal blood pressure and levels of bodily fluids.
5. Because of its high energy value, hazelnuts are recommended for sports nutrition, physically active people, and children.
6. Pregnant women and young children should consume hazelnut in combination with honey to help managed to prevent anemia.
7. Oil from hazelnut is applied in relax massage, and also enters into the composition of cosmetic sunscreen because its antioxidant properties protects the skin from radiation.
8. The hazelnut is abundant in fluoride, a mineral important for the preservation of tooth firmness.
Using the hazelnuts in the diet
Hazelnut is widely used in the diet, especially in dietary of vegans and vegetarians in order to compensate for fats and proteins.
Hazelnut is used in the production of sweets, chocolate, cream, the hazelnut butter, which is unlikely healthier than peanut butter.